Amiibo (Officially stylized as amiibo) is a brand of toys-to-life figurines, cards, and other products developed by Nintendo. Due to its runaway success, the Nintendo versions of Shovel Knight has, among other things, the luxury to possess specific Shovel Knight themed amiibos.
Similarly to the Cheat Codes, originally using the Shovel Knight amiibo's Custom Knight rendered a save file unable to earn Feats, but instead of a pumpkin symbol, Custom Knight has his specific symbol, a red ribbon-like one that, due to their past connection, its the same to when activating Co-op Mode in a save file. As of version 4.00 it is now possible to earn Feats while using Custom Knight.
Albeit not the first non-Nintendo character as an amiibo figure, the Shovel Knight amiibo was the first amiibo-branded product released by a third-party company under license from Nintendo. It was later followed by a Plague Knight amiibo, a Specter Knight amiibo, a King Knight amiibo and a special golden version of the Shovel Knight amiibo.
Shovel Knight amiibo Edit
The Shovel Knight amiibo was first announced August 27th 2015. It unlocks features in the Wii U, 3DS and Switch versions of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, a boss fight in Azure Striker Gunvolt 2, as well as a few miscellaneous features in other Nintendo amiibo compatible games.
To be used with the original 3DS, 3DS XL, or 2DS consoles, a NFC Reader/Writer accessory is required.
Features in Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope Edit
- Custom Knight: The main feature of the Shovel Knight amiibo is Custom Knight. Custom Knight is a customizable version of Shovel Knight that levels up by collecting Gold. Each level unlocks more health and magic, relics, charge attacks, abilities, and cosmetics. Custom Knight data is saved to the amiibo.
- Co-op Mode: Previously Co-op was exclusive to the Wii U version of Shovel Knight and could only be accessed via the Shovel Knight amiibo, however on January 11th 2017, Yacht Club Games announced their intention to release Co-op Mode on all platforms and removing the need for a Shovel Knight amiibo to activate it on the Wii U. As this feature is now available on all platforms, the amiibo is no longer needed to access it.
- Co-op mode is also compatible with Custom Knight although for both players to use Custom Knight requires the use of two different amiibo.
Features in Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
- Challenges: Scanning the amiibo at the challenge screen unlocks new challenges for Challenge Mode. Unlike with the other amiibo usage this only needs to be scanned once to permanently unlock the challenges. The 3DS version unlocks 5 new challenges centered around Custom Knight, but the Wii U and Switch versions have the 5 regular custom knight challenges, as well as 5 additional Co-op challenges, which were never added to other non Nintendo versions despite Co-op release on said platforms.
- Madam Meeber: On March 1st 2017, Yacht Club games announced Madame Meeber, a fairy-godmother themed character for the amiibo, who is capable of summoning a Fairy Companion for the player after scanning the Shovel Knight themed amiibos. The fairy available through the Shovel Knight amiibo is the Fairy of Shovelry, designed around Shovel Knight himself, and is available in all campaigns. The fairy is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the gameplay whatsoever. No matter the platform Madame Meeber makes an appearence in King of Cards in the Fairy Glade.
- Shovel Knight Showdown costume: By scanning the Shovel Knight amiibo in Showdown the Baron Set costume is unlocked for Shovel Knight to wear.
Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 Edit
Scanning the amiibo in Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 unlocks a boss battle against Shovel Knight. This was added due to Yacht Club Games publishing Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack (a physical bundle of both Gunvolt games) in North America.
Other amiibo Edit
Plague Knight, Specter Knight and King Knight amiibo Edit
Plague Knight, Specter Knight, and King Knight amiibo were released together in a 3-pack of all three amiibo on December 10th, 2019. Each amiibo unlocks another Fairy Companion, unique costume sets for each character, additional challenge stages and other bonuses, one of which is a Showdown costume.
Shovel Knight Gold Edition Edit
Shovel Knight Gold Edition was released on December 10th 2019. This is a Shovel Knight amiibo with the Ornate Plate Armor. Despite the aesthetics, the functions of the amiibo in the game will be the same as the normal Shovel Knight amiibo.
|Shovel Knight series|
|Video Games:||Treasure Trove (Shovel of Hope • Plague of Shadows • Specter of Torment • King of Cards • Showdown ) • Dig • Pocket Dungeon|
|Board Games:||Dungeon Duels|
|Soundtracks:||Shovel Knight Original Soundtrack • Strike the Earth! Shovel Knight Arranged • Plague of Shadows Original Soundtrack • Specter of Torment Original Soundtrack • King of Cards Original Soundtrack|
|Miscellaneous:||amiibo • Official Design Works|
|Treasure Trove Features:||Co-op Mode • Custom Knight • Body Swap Mode • Sound Test • Feats • Challenge Mode • New Game Plus • "Butt Mode" • Cheat Codes • Joustus|