Body Swap Mode (originally called Gender Swap) is a feature in Shovel Knight:Treasure Trove that lets players choose the gender of the main characters in Shovel of Hope. The concerned characters are Shovel Knight, Shield Knight, Black Knight, the Enchantress and the members of the Order of No Quarter.
The gender of all main characters in the game can be swapped selectively. For example, there can be both a male Shovel Knight and a male Shield Knight.. Pronouns for each of those characters can also be swapped selectively (for example, a Shovel Knight with a female body can go by male pronouns in the game). The menu for Body Swap can be accessed at any point during the game. Changes will only be effective after exiting the current stage and entering the map. Originally Body Swap Mode only allowed to change pronouns into their masculine or feminine forms, but in December 2019 the option to choose gender neutral pronouns was added.
- Random - Will put a random gender for all characters.
- Default - All characters will be the official genders (only if any characters' genders have been changed).
- Opposite - All characters will be the opposite gender of their default gender.
- Fionna and Cake, one of the episodes in the American cartoon series Adventure Time, served as one of the inspirations for the Body Swap Mode.
- When swapped, King Knight changes to Queen Knight and the Enchantress becomes the Enchanter. They are the only characters to undergo a complete name change to fit with their opposite gender.
- The developers expressed their interest to make a body swapped version of Specter Knight's model in Specter of Torment to show the exposed underlying armor.
- In addition of doing concept art for the body swapped main characters, the developers also drawn the opposite gender versions of several minor characters: the Bard, Baz, Phantom Striker, Chester, the Gastronomer, Mr. Hat, the Magicist, Mona, Reize and the Troupple King.
- Though probably not affecting the gender itself, in Showdown, Shovel Knight can change into his Body Swap counterpart in the character selection menu.
|Shovel Knight series|
|Video Games:||Treasure Trove (Shovel of Hope • Plague of Shadows • Specter of Torment • King of Cards • Showdown ) • Dig|
|Board Games:||Dungeon Duels|
|Features:||Custom Knight • Body Swap Mode • Sound Test|
|Soundtracks:||Shovel Knight Original Soundtrack • Plague of Shadows Original Soundtrack • Specter of Torment Original Soundtrack • King of Cards Original Soundtrack|
|Miscellaneous:||amiibo • Official Design Works|