Co-Op Mode is an exclusive feature of the Shovel of Hope campaign. Originally it was only present in the Wii U version, which required the Shovel Knight amiibo to be accessed. However, with the upgrade to the Treasure Trove, Co-Op was brought to all home consoles and had the amiibo requirement removed on Wii U.
As with all Cheat Codes and Custom Knight, originally using Co-op Mode would render a save file unable to earn Feats. This however was changed with the release of version 4.00. Similarly to the cheat codes pumpkin symbol, Co-Op also has his specific symbol, a red ribbon-like one that, due to their past connection, will appear also when activating an amiibo Custom Knight in a save file, even if Co-Op is not available.
- Gold is shared between players and items and upgrades purchased are available to both players. As a consequence, both players must wear the same Armor, although Player 2's Armors will have an alternate color palette compared to Player 1's standard Armor color.
- Health and magic are separate but if one player dies they may revive themselves, dividing the other players health between them.
- The players cannot directly hurt one another, but should their attacks hit each other, they will knock each other about. Doing so can cause damage or death if a player is pushed into a enemy or hazard, so be careful.
- By jumping and using the Shovel Drop on their partners, players can boost each other to progress through stages.
- Player 2 is unable to talk to other characters and is thus dependent on Player 1 purchasing upgrades for the both of them.
- If one player makes it to the edge of a screen, the other is teleported to them at the start of the next screen.
- The Troupple Chalices are shared between players, and if a player uses one, they alone will benefit from the Ichor.
A few alterations to the campaign itself are made to balance the game for two players.
- Bosses all have more health in the form of extra pink bubbles, the exact amount being individual to each boss.
- Bubbles take two hits to burst, and a variant of Floatsomes with two hit points replace the one hit point version.
- Some Dirt Blocks are indestructible unless striked in certain spots, which are usually only reachable after cooperating with your partner.
- Certain stages are tweaked slightly to facilitate two players, most notably the Knuckler's Quarry which has several new Bubble Block platforms.
At the end of each of the main stages, Player 1 and Player 2 have their scores tallied compared in terms of enemies defeated, player deaths, and gold accumulated. The player who scored better is declared the victor for that stage. Said ranking system would later reappear in Shovel Knight Showdown.
Custom Knight is fully compatible with Co-op. If only one amiibo is being used in Co-op, then the Custom Knight will always be Player 2. The use of a second amiibo allows both players to use Custom Knight. Using Custom Knight not only gives access to an expanded arsenal but also allows to equip different skill sets, especially if both players are using Custom Knight.
|Shovel Knight series|
|Video Games:||Treasure Trove (Shovel of Hope • Plague of Shadows • Specter of Torment • King of Cards • Showdown ) • Dig • Pocket Dungeon|
|Board Games:||Dungeon Duels|
|Soundtracks:||Shovel Knight Original Soundtrack • Strike the Earth! Shovel Knight Arranged • Plague of Shadows Original Soundtrack • Specter of Torment Original Soundtrack • King of Cards Original Soundtrack|
|Miscellaneous:||amiibo • Official Design Works|
|Treasure Trove Features:||Co-op Mode • Custom Knight • Body Swap Mode • Sound Test • Feats • Challenge Mode • New Game Plus • "Butt Mode" • Cheat Codes • Joustus|