|“|| I'm a |
rooster, sir, and I've invested in half the town! Do as you must, but I'm unflappable!
Cooper the Airship Enthusiast, also known as the Rooster Gent, is an investor and former adventurer, and a recurring character in Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. He commandeers the Glidewing and helps King Knight in King of Cards.
Cooper appears as a bipedal white rooster with a red comb and an orange beak. In the first two campaigns, he wears an orange shirt with a brown vest and brown trousers and holds a black-red cane. In the other two, he wears instead a brown aviator vest and a red and white striped shirt along with his brown trousers.
Cooper has a fondness for airships and always displays his admiration of them. He is also brave even in the face of danger, and takes easily offense at being confused for a chicken.
Shovel of HopeEdit
In Shovel of Hope, the Airship Enthusiast can be seen at the Armor Outpost, inside the front of the Aerial Anvil with the Yoppler. He no longer owns the Glidewing but invested in the place while continuing his admiration of airships. He reappears in the ending, among the court of King Pridemoor after he regained his throne from King Knight.
As the Rooster Gent, he can be found in the Mysterious Area. He appears after the Battletoads have been defeated to comment on their futuristic airship, the Vulture. Its creator, Professor T. Bird, greets him as a response to his admiration.
Plague of ShadowsEdit
Specter of TormentEdit
In Specter of Torment, Cooper appears briefly during the ending. He rides aboard a small airship among Propeller Knight's fleet. As the fleet takes flight, he slows down when approaching the 'Edge Farmer on the Flying Machine's bridge. He throws him a rose before leaving, which impresses the hedgehog.
King of CardsEdit
In King of Cards, Cooper captains the crew of the Glidewing, his own airship, and partnered with the Bard to seek the Joustus Crown. He encounters King Knight outside the House of Joustus, where he offers him to board the Glidewing and to aid him to win the tournament.
Shovel of HopeEdit
- "Airship Enthusiast: I do say, sir! Why, I haven't seen such a decadent airship since I sold mine! Hah!"
When Shovel Knight speaks to him in the Mysterious Area:
- "Rooster Gent: I say! This airship rivals the Aerial Anvil... and so advanced! Who is the proprietor!?"
- "Professor T. Bird: Greeting, fellow bird nerd! Ah, yes! The Vulture is my finest creation!"
Plague of ShadowsEdit
- "Plague Knight: Hee hee hahaha, If they're not cowards, they're chickens!"
- "Airship Enthusiast: I'm a rooster, sir, and I've invested in half the town! Do as you must, but I'm unflappable!"
King of CardsEdit
- "Cooper: You there!You, the pauldrons! Fancy-pants! Yes, you! My friend and I have an offer for you. We need to talk– elsewhere."
- "King Knight: Sorry, petitioners. I am not accepting gifts from peasants, and I won't have a word of your pleasantries."
- "Bard: Does the Joustus Crown ring a bell? We bid you no harm, and wish to hear your story. Please, Your Highness?"
- "King Knight: Hmm.. finally some recognition of my status! Very well! I'll hear you out. Heave to and grab the rope!"
When King Knight speaks to him before using the Rat Rope to the Glidewing:
- "Cooper: Time's a wastin', your majesty. Kindly teach us your gilded rope trick, would you?"
When King Knight first enters the Glidewing:
- "King Knight: This ramshackle monstrosity seems ready to splinter to bits, but... I must say, this view of my future kingdom is quite remarkable."
- "Cooper: The Glidewing is a sturdy lass! My crew of fortune-seekers depends on her, and we turn a mighty profit."
- "Bard: And lately, we've had our eyes on the Joustus Crown."
- "Cooper: But we need a champion who can outplay King Pridemoor... And you, my friend, certainly look the part!"
- "King Knight: Oh, I assure you, the Joustus Judges will be small work for a talent such as my own."
- "Cooper: Your grace, I believe we have an understanding. If we work together, the glory will be yours! First up is King Pridemoor, a bearded noble with a razor wit! We're nearing his domain– Pridemoor Keep. But, it will be a moment yet. Have a stroll around the Glidewing, and rest up. Welcome aboard!"
- "Cooper: We'd been scouting around the plains for Joustus players, before we met you. It's peaceful here."
- "Cooper: King Pridemoor. No surprise he's a Joustus Judge. Mind like a steel trap, a heart of gold, and a charming, to boot."
- "Cooper: My heart pangs in these blighted ghost lands, ever since our last champion vanished here. Let's hurry through."
- "Cooper: See that vast thicket? It covers the Troupple Pond. The view of the ground is poor, even from our vantage point."
- "Cooper: Plague Knight seems a bit mad. But his explosives are devastating, and his prices are fair. What can I say?"
- "Cooper: I've always loved the sky.. But feared the sea. I shudder to think of what would happen if we crashed here."
- "Cooper: The Lost City was a natural wonder, a treasure to the kingdom, before it was plundered bare by opportunists."
- "Cooper: This tower is a sight to behold! Henginner's tales did naught to prepare me for this mechanical marvel!"
- "Cooper: The free skies are but a fading memory. Until recently, none dared claim it as their personal playground."
- "Cooper: Th-The chill of this sky puts an ache in my hollow bones.What torturous frost! I bid you h-haste, sir!"
- "Cooper: Few birds have soared higher than me, but here King Birder's lair stands, atop the billowing clouds. Astounding!"
- "Cooper: Do you reckon a tower as old as this is equipped with cannons? Ready yourself for anything!."
- "Bard: Ahhhhhhh!We're under attack!"
- "Cooper: This is serious!I know our foe all too well. The ship's on lockdown until we're rid of the enemy! Take out the intruders! I'll try to steer us out of this mess!"
After defeating Propeller Knight:
- "Doe: Thank goodness, you made it! We held her together best we could, captain, but she took a beating."
- "Cooper: Propeller Knight could be back at any moment. We've got to keep an eye out."
- "Doe: Got one eye open in my sleep. You'll be the fist to know."
- Rooster Gent was the original name for this character during the development of Shovel Knight, evidenced by the name of his sprite "Rooster Gent" and his original concept art.
- Despite his change of name, the developers of Yacht Club Games still refer to the Airhsip Enthusiast with his old name:
- In his cameo appearance in the Battletoads bonus stage.
- During the "Yach Club Presents" stream of the 8.28.19., where during the Q&A segment the developers talked about how much of a bigger role the Airship Enthusiast, first encountered during Shovel Knight's campaign, will play in King of Cards, addressing the Airship Entusiast as Rooster Gent every single time.
- In the blog post detailing the creation of Shovel Knight's dance button.
- In the 5th anniversary blog post of Shovel Knight
- His name in King of Cards may be a pun on where roosters and chickens are usually kept in farms, chicken coops.
- ↑ AMA Reddit post by Woz
- ↑ Shovel Knight: Official Design Works, p.59
- ↑ Dance! The Story of a Useless Button! on yachtclubgames.com
- ↑ Shovel Knight 5th Anniversary Spectacular! on yachtclubgames.com