The Explodatorium is an old fort re-purposed for Plague Knight's experiments. It features large halls of green bricks littered with pipes, burners and other cauldrons. Plague Knight set his main laboratory in the basement, which is lit by the luminous content of large vats. Most of the perils encountered are explosive enemies and fire hazards. In addition to Plague Knight's followers, the lab is infested by Fairies and exploding rats.
In Shovel of Hope and Plague of Shadows, the top rooms and galleries of the Explodatorium are explored in addition of the laboratory. Specter of Torment features the sewers, which are overrun by pipes and running water as well as Jumping Boneclangs.
Plague Knight used the Explodatorium to conduct his unstable experiments with Mona, Percy and his minions. He started relocating his operations at the Potionarium under the Village after Specter Knight came to recruit him into the Order of No Quarter. Devising a plan to harvest the Essences of the Order, he left his main lab in the careless hands of the Alchemeister and his minions to continue pretending to work as alchemist of the Enchantress.
Shovel Knight and Plague Knight confronted each other at the Explodatorium when the former returned to the Valley, looking for Shield Knight. After the defeat of the Enchantress, Plague Knight returned to his lab to start teaching advanced potion classes.
Plague of ShadowsEdit
In Plague of Shadows, Shovel Knight is fought as the boss of this stage. The stage layout is the same, however. The reason why Plague Knight must fight his own Minions is that, accordingly to a friendly Minion found by the start of the stage, some of the experiments they were doing in the absence of Plague Knight went wrong, and that a "mysterious wanderer" is roaming by.
Plague Knight must then venture through his gigantic lab, and defeat Shovel Knight, to complete the level. After doing so, his essence will escape him, but he will then get up and defeat Plague Knight, much like in his original campaign, with a charged attack and grab his essence back. Later, while Shovel Knight is sleeping by the campfire, Plague Knight will sneak up and steal Shovel Knight's essence.
- In Plague of Shadows, when reaching the end of the Explodatorium before the boss fight, there will be a breakable wall with a lock sign at the right side, close to the pit that leads into the boss arena. Inside is Plague Knight's secret room, where the player can find his collection of masks and robes and a bed where player can bounce on. Entering it will also earn the player the feat "Get Out Of My Room!".
- In New Game Plus, a picture of Mona dancing can be found above the bed. The photo is torn in the normal mode.
- Among the masks in the secret room is the mask Plague Knight wears as a boss, seemingly implying both physical appearances of the character are canon in some way.
- There is a grate on the entrance wall. It's tricky but it can be destroyed, revealing a skeleton of an unknown creature behind. Yacht Club games admitted that originally it would have been the skeleton of a Plague Minion but it was scrapped because it was too dark.
- Also in Plague of Shadows, by defeating Shovel Knight, he will drop three money bags just like in his scenario. It is not possible to loot these money bags however.
- There is a slim chance that upon dying, the music will speed up until the next death.