|“||Prepare yourself for the Spartan wrath of the Blades of Chaos!||”|
After defeating Kratos, the player will receive 2000 gold and the Grave Digger's Shovel, which can be taken to the Armorer at the Armor Outpost to receive the Armor of Chaos, which drastically alters Shovel Knight's play style to be more like Kratos.
Before the fight:
- "Shovel Knight: Black Knight, is that you?! Why have you lured me here?"
- "????: You know not to whom you speak, Gardener. Get out of my way!!"
- "Shovel Knight: Nonsense! Your disguises and trickery won't deter me! Show yourself, or be gone!"
- "????: Athena!!! Is this yet another test? Am I to face this foolish peasant, without even a proper weapon?"
- "Kratos: Then so be it... Prepare yourself for the Spartan wrath of the Blades of Chaos!"
After the fight:
- "Kratos: Enough! In your hands, a mere farmer's tool burns with the fury of Hades! Surely you have the gods' favor. I shall call you the Ghost of Shovels."
- "Shovel Knight: You as well are formidable, Ghost of Sparta. Your technique is unlike any I've seen. I bid you good fortune in your quest, whatever it may be."
- "Kratos: My fate lies... elsewhere. Take this gift. If properly honed, it could uproot the olive trees of Olympus."
Phases and AttacksEdit
Phase 1 Edit
During the first phase, Kratos attacks with 6 attacks:
- Kratos attacks with his blades in both directions.
- He uses his blades to attack upwards.
- He jumps around, stunning the knight if he's on the ground.
- He spins with his blades, covering large area.
- He switches to gauntlets and charges at the pillar.
- He uses the blades to hook himself temporarily on the pillar before repeating the process two more times.
Phase 2 Edit
After Kratos is low on health, he summons lightning and small colorful dots appear on the screen. He absorbs them and is fully healed. After that he becomes faster and gains new attacks, while some of the old ones are upgraded:
- Kratos can stay in the air for a while. He uses his blades to pull 3 parts of the pillar, throwing them at the knight.
- If Shovel Knight is hit by an upwards attack, he is stunned and sent into the air. Kratos then slams him into the wall.
- Kratos' charge attack can now destroy parts of the pillar, hurling them at the knight at the process.
Phase 3 Edit
After Kratos' health is depleted, he destroys the arena and both he and Shovel Knight are sent into the air, while parts of the pillars are in the air too, acting as a platforms. Both Shovel Knight and Kratos are fully healed. Unlike the two phases before, Shovel Knight is the one with the temporarily upgrade, since he is able to took 2 hit points instead of 1 in the single hit. Kratos doesn't change his attacks in this phase.
- Kratos is one of the 3 bosses that is only fought in Shovel of Hope. The other 2 are Remnant of Fate and the Battletoads.
- The developers of Yacht Club Games visited the team of Santa Monica Studios in order to work on Kratos's design and animations. It also marked the 10th anniversary of the God of War series.
- According to God of War director Cory Barlog, Kratos' appearance in Shovel Knight is considered canon in the God of War lore.
- Kratos actually uses the Blades of Exile from God of War III, despite him calling them the Blades of Chaos. This makes it seem likely that his battle with Shovel Knight takes place in the city of Olympia (based on the background) soon after defeating Hermes (since he has the winged boots) and Hercules (since he has already obtained the Nemean Cestus).
- After the battle, Kratos will put his cloak back and walk slowly across the screen until he leaves it. During so, Shovel Knight can hit him causing the cowl to fall back. This will make Kratos stop to put it back on. Doing this three times will ultimately cause Kratos to put the hood back on one last time before considerably increase his walking pace. After this it is no longer possible to harass him any further.
- Due to their lack of pronouns, Kratos speeches are among the very few major pieces of dialogue to remain completely unchanged between a standard playthrough and Body Swap Mode.
- If already defeated once during a standard playthrough, during New Game Plus Kratos will skip the first two phases of his fight, starting the battle during the falling section.
- The Grave Digger's shovel is a reference to the Grave Digger from the first God of War game, who rescues Kratos from Hades by digging a deep hole and throwing down a rope. The Grave Digger returns in Ghost of Sparta, and the shovel itself is the last item to be unlocked in the Temple of Zeus.
- This is Kratos' first appearance in a game rated E10. He's appeared in games usually rated M or AO, like Mortal Kombat and Soulcallibur.
- ↑ THE GOD OF WAR VS SHOVEL KNIGHT on Santa Monica Studios' website.
- ↑ Twitter post by Yacht Club Games.
- ↑ Twitter post by Cory Barlog, creative director of the 2018 God of War.
- ↑ Twitter post by Santa Monica Studios.
- ↑ VGR: Cory Barlog Suggests Kratos’ Appearance in Shovel Knight Was Canon
- ↑ Twitter post by Yacht Club Games.