Iam the foreman and
Imake the rules, and the rules are posted for a
reason!In my caves, when you act high and mighty, you get
brought down to earth!
- 1 Official Bio
- 2 Dig the Vote
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Strategy
- 5 Joustus Deck
- 6 Dialogue
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
- 9 References
|“||The shovel may rule the confines of man-made gardens, but in the wild, the titan of tunneling is the mole! Mole Knight embraces this truth wholeheartedly. With his modified drop-forged armored claws, he mockingly tears through the earth with brute strength! Mole Knight calls the subterranean Lost City his home... an ancient abandoned metropolis. Shovel Knight must pass through the Lost City, but chances are slim he won’t be challenged to see who is truly the master of digging.||”|
- Pros: Great eyesight, shrewd, high endurance
- Cons: Obsessive personality, gets sweaty in armor
Tone[edit | edit source]
|“||Mole Knight is a self-serious badass that focuses on digging. His campaign will likely be about proving himself to be the strongest digger in the world.||”|
Original Play Style Ideas[edit | edit source]
- Incredibly fast while climbing and digging but somewhat slow otherwise.
- Fireball projectiles.
- Geomancy – Create and control dirt.
- Dig Pile Warp – Can burrow into one mound of dirt and appear at another.
- Mole Toss – Toss a friendly mole into the air. When it lands, it will burrow into the ground creating a dig pile.
- Combine Mole Toss and Dig Pile Warp together and…
Relationships[edit | edit source]
Treasure Knight[edit | edit source]
|“||Ah, marine logistics showed up. You know how to excavate, right?||”|
Mole Knight and Treasure Knight have a mutual respect for each other. They have a deal, where Mole Knight would remain in land and Treasure Knight would stay, submerged beneath the waves. They left one another alone so they wouldn't enter any conflicts.
Tinker Knight[edit | edit source]
|“||Tinker Knight, there you are! We've gotta get out of here together- it's too dangerous. Safety first, right?||”|
Mole Knight and Tinker Knight, as Shovel Knight Showdown states, are like oil and water, meaning that Tinker Knight believes safety should always be the first thing to consider while Mole Knight does what he thinks is the best thing to do, dangerous or not. They, however, because of the Order, work together sometimes, such as in the Magma Furnace of the Lost City where they cooperated.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Mole Knight is a very high-mobility boss. It is difficult to do much damage to him in one go. When the fight begins, he will shoot out of the walls at high speed in an attempt to ram into you. The best thing to do in this phase is to charge up your Shovel, and attack him with it when he comes towards you, as this will negate his attack and damage him at the same time. After shooting out of the walls a few times, Mole Knight will land on his belly and slide across the ground, with his armor shooting out sparks from grinding against the ground. After this, he will dig up blocks to launch at you; the stacks of blocks he sends at you get progressively bigger the lower his health is. If you manage to get on top of him and Shovel Drop onto him, you can rack up a lot of damage on Mole Knight as he is stationary during this attack. After doing some damage to him, he will burrow underground and hide under one of four dirt piles. It is easy to find which one Mole Knight is under, as his visor will be peeking out. Digging this pile up stuns him for a short time, but watch out as a mole enemy is hiding under another pile and will damage you. After he emerges from the ground, he will call down magma to cover him, and he launches balls of magma which loosely track your movement while drops of magma fall from the ceiling. He is invincible while this attack goes on, so stay away from him and try to dodge the balls of magma. You can, however, hit some of the balls of magma back at him for a little bit of damage; the flashing magma balls do extra damage. When this attack ends, Mole Knight will stomp the ground to make some dirt blocks fall from the ceiling, and then he'll repeat the entire cycle.
In Specter of Torment, Mole Knight's battle is largely the same, but the dirt blocks he attacks with are replaced with green slime blocks. Also, he now covers himself in green slime instead of magma, which makes him able to attack by bouncing around the room until the slime wears off.
Joustus Deck[edit | edit source]
|Mole Knight||Whippicles||Memmec||Mole Minion|
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Shovel of Hope[edit | edit source]
Before his boss fight:
- "Mole Knight: You're out of your depth, spelunker. Are you lost?"
- "Shovel Knight: These ruins belong to the ages, Mole Knight."
- "Mole Knight: They're mine now! But more importantly, is that your digging implement? Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha!!!I'm astonished you made it ten feet down here with that rusty trinket!I will bury you!"
Plague of Shadows[edit | edit source]
Before his boss fight:
- "Mole Knight: You've gotta be kidding me. You'rethe demolitions expert? You're a day late! Don't just stand there! Start blasting! Hop to it!"
- "Plague Knight: Hee hee, I'm afraid i'm not exactly here to help with your dig... but... I'm certainly here for demolitions! Hee hee hahaha! Boooooom!"
- "Mole Knight: I should have known you were just gonna clown around. Can't let that happen on my watch! Let's make this quick!"
Specter of Torment[edit | edit source]
Before his boss fight:
- "Mole Knight: Break time is over. Are you in the right place? Ready to continue the dig?"
- "Specter Knight: Very much so..in fact, I'm here with a business proposal. The Enchantress has need of excavators and wishes to employ the best."
- "Mole Knight: What? Who? Well, you've found the best... The bestat digging! My claws are sharp! My technique is flawless!"
- "Specter Knight: Excellent, then you'll only need--"
- "Mole Knight: But I'm absolutely notlooking for new work.And break time is over!!!"
At the tower's banquet hall:
- "Mole Knight: Are they bringing my bread out? I asked for bread. Everything up here takes forever.Could you go ask about the bread?"
King of Cards[edit | edit source]
Before his boss fight:
- "Mole Knight: Somebodydidn't read theNo Diving sign,and you broke the Lost Hot Tub during my only break!"
- "King Knight: Pah! It's beneath my royal rank to read rules, commoner. I prefer to speak and be obeyed."
- "Mole Knight: Down here Iam the foreman andImake the rules, and the rules are posted for areason!In my caves, when you act high and mighty, you getbrought down to earth!"
At the Glidewing:
- "Mole Knight: Wish I was back at the dig site. I loathe being aboard this expensive novelty, and I don't have time for games! Well..... Maybe one."
Showdown[edit | edit source]
Before third stage battle (Tinker Knight only):
- "Tinker Knight: Ah! You! The one with the claws. Yes, you can dig, and we're on the same team! At last, some help!"
- "Mole Knight: Haw!I'm nobody's servant. In fact, I could use an extra hand. How about you pick up these loose pebbles?"
- "Tinker Knight: So, you think you are the boss, eh? You have no idea what a bind we are in! I won't let you wreck my plan."
- "Mole Knight: No, I'm gonna wreck you,take your stuff, and dig my way to freedom!"
Before ninth stage battle (Tinker Knight only):
- "Mole Knight: Tinker Knight, there you are! We've gotta get out of here together- it's too dangerous. Safety first, right?"
- "Tinker Knight: Oh, that's rich. You'll just slow me down at this point. You had your chance, dirt man."
- "Mole Knight: Oh yeah? Well when I'm done with you, you're gonna be takin' a dirt nap!"
- "Tinker Knight: I'll clean your clock, mole!End of the line!"
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Mole Knight's favorite food is jelly filled donuts.
- On his character bio page, it is stated that Mole Knight’s great eyesight is one of his strengths. This is ironic, as real-life moles have a reputation for being near-blind, as they use their feelers instead of their eyes to detect things underground.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Key Art[edit | edit source]
Concept Art[edit | edit source]
Sprites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Confirmed during a Twitch stream on April 18th, 2019.