|“||Ahhh, hats, my greatest passion. Nothing I enjoy more than the crisp snap of a well-tailored brim.||”|
Mr. Hat is one of the Wandering Travellers in the world of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. This character was created by Alexander “Hatman” Hatzikides as a Director for a Day. He runs the fancy shop at the Armor Outpost and specializes in hats.
|“||Mr. Hat is obsessed with hats, but for good reason! For although he wears a helmet, each hat that he places atop his head gives him the powers of that hat’s owner! Mr. Hat can switch from a charismatic foppish dandy to military genius in a moment, and he takes great pride in his varied fighting styles. Lately, though, there have been rumblings of an even greater warrior who wields a Shovel Blade; one with a wonderfully blue, horned helmet...||”|
Mr. Hat is a sophisticated man, wearing a large gray and brown trenchcoat, brown trousers, and brown shoes. He wears a golden helmet, hiding his face, and carries a wooden cane with a red jewel at the tip. When fighting, he puts a hat on his head, with each type of hat defining his fighting style. He then uses his cane either to displace himself or as a sword.
Shovel of HopeEdit
In Shovel of Hope, Mr. Hat is tending to his shop. However, as more hats are getting bought, he starts obsessing on refilling his stock. With the last customer gone, he addresses Shovel Knight about his helmet, and explains that each hat grants him the power of its previous owner. He then engages Shovel Knight in combat to take his helmet.
Mr. Hat finally regains his senses after his defeat, but still obsesses about Shovel Knight's hat. He leaves the shop after the knight makes him remark it is a helmet. He can then be found three times at the Outpost while not leaving the area. When found, he gives Shovel Knight gold to make the knight forget about him. He grows unnerved at the third time, and leaves the Outpost by launching himself from a catapult while laughing maniacally.
Plague of ShadowsEdit
In Plague of Shadows, Mr. Hat doesn't leave his shop after Plague Knight's attack on the Armor Outpost. He feels insulted when the knight asks if he craft hoods, then enraged by Plague Knight's belittling of hats, before engaging combat.
After the fight, Mr. Hat explains how his power comes from the hats he wears. Plague Knight is impressed and wants to buy his hats, but he explains how the powers only work on himself. He then leaves the shop with no grudge towards Plague Knight.
Specter of TormentEdit
King of CardsEdit
In King of Cards, it's revealed that Mr. Hat's shop was originally further up in the mountainous region of the Valley; his shop, known as the Fancy Shop, can be found in the Birder Kingdom. When spoken to in this location, Mr. Hat offers upgrades for King Knight that go over the gold limit and cannot be bought; thus, the only option for King Knight is to leave the shop and exit the level. However, as King Knight makes his way to the rat rope ring, Mr. Hat stalks King Knight and repeatedly asks him to come back and buy something. Finally, once King Knight tries to leave on the rat rope, Mr. Hat cuts the rope, preventing King Knight from leaving, and demands that he give up his "hat." He then engages in combat to take King Knight's crown, but is beaten. After his defeat, Mr. Hat explains that he tends to go crazy due to cabin fever since his shop is in such an isolated location where hardly anyone stops by. He then begs King Knight to let him on the Glidewing, and King Knight agrees after Mr. Hat also offers to fix the rat rope. Afterwards, the duo uses the rope to pull Mr. Hat's shop up and attach it to the Glidewing, after which Mr. Hat expresses his gratitude and lowers all his prices.
Mr. Hat initially has three upgrades available for purchase: the Display Overhaul, Silver Plating, and Gilded Deck. A fourth upgrade, the Gold Plating, becomes available after the Silver Plating is bought, and a secret upgrade, the Family Portrait, becomes available once King Knight accumulates 99999 gold.
In the ending sequence, when the Glidewing is attacked by the Enchantress, Mr. Hat's shop is knocked off of the Glidewing, causing it to fall and land in the Armor Outpost, where several new customers including Baz show up to browse the shop.
These are the upgrades that can be bought from Mr. Hat in King of Cards (the prices shown here are the prices he charges after his shop has been added to the Glidewing).
|Display Overhaul||10000||Give your interface some regal flair! The very height of your status.|
|Silver Plating||10000||A professional design refits the Glidewing to better suit you.|
|Golden Plating||20000||A professional design refits the Glidewing to better suit you.|
|Glided Deck||10000||Your Joustus cards will receive fancier backs. The fronts change a little, too.|
|Family Portrait||99999||A lovely painting fit for hanging above the hearth! Modest, but it has great sentimental value.|
During his battle, Mr. Hat switches between two different hats that allow him to use different fighting styles. He starts the battle with a warrior's helmet, which has him run up to the player and use melee attacks with his cane-sword. He'll then throw some more swords in the air and have them fall to the ground, and then try to strike the player with his sword again. If Mr. Hat's sword strikes any of the other swords stuck in the ground, they'll get knocked upward and then fly straight ahead in the player's direction, ultimately flying off the screen. After this, Mr. Hat switches out his warrior helmet for a feathered beret, which allows him to bounce around on his cane and leap into the air, flinging plates at the player as he slowly descends to the ground. Then, he'll throw some teacups at the player and bounce around some more, before switching back to the warrior helmet and restarting the cycle.
In King of Cards, however, Mr. Hat has a second phase that he initiates when he's low on health. In this phase, he puts on a crown and pulls out a giant golden sword. Aside from using this sword to deliver melee attacks, Mr. Hat can also attack by jumping off the walls of the room and then slamming down, creating sparks that roll a short distance across the ground before disappearing. Sometimes, Mr. Hat will go offscreen and return riding a horse carriage, trying to ram King Knight with it. After hitting the carriage three times, Mr. Hat gets knocked off and resumes his normal attack patterns. Once he loses half his health in this phase, Mr. Hat rolls out a red carpet which enhances some of his attacks; when he ground pounds on the carpet, it sends ripples that travel across the entire screen, and his horse carriage also sends ripples across the carpet when turning around.
Shovel of HopeEdit
When talked to with all three customers present:
- "Mr. Hat: Ahhh, hats, my greatest passion. Nothing I enjoy more than the crisp snap of a well-tailored brim."
After buying a hat for one customer:
- "Mr. Hat: HEH HEH, running out of customers, one by one. The hats are going. How shall I restock?"
After buying hats for two customers:
- "Mr. Hat: J-Just one more customer. Then there's no more hats. No more hats. M-Must get more. More hats."
After buying hats for all customers:
- "Mr. Hat: Argh! My precious hats! That's a lovely helmet, so lovely. So lovely!"
- "Shovel Knight: I must inquire, sir, about your curious collection."
- "Mr. Hat: Travel the land far and wide, I do -- searching, learning, teaching, collecting! All shapes! All sizes! Hats! Each one I wear grants me a new power. And your hat looks powerful indeed!"
- "Shovel Knight: Intriguing, but ... I am rather attached to my helmet."
- "Mr. Hat: Yes, yes... about that... HEH HEH HEH!"
After defeating Mr. Hat:
- "Mr. Hat: Enough! I know not what came over me! My hunger for hats took control! Your.. beautiful hat.."
- "Shovel Knight: It's a helmet."
- "Mr. Hat: Right-o! I knew that! Wear it in good health! For now!"
- "Shovel Knight: ....."
- "Mr. Hat: ..... Right, well, off I go then!"
When finding him outside once:
- "Mr. Hat: Oh bother...You found me. I'm so embarrassed! I promise I'll pester you no longer! Here's some gold for all the trouble."
- "Mr. Hat: YOU?! You can't be serious! How did you find me again? You're following me everywhere! OK, OK! I won't come back. Just take some more of my gold and leave me to my hats!"
- "Mr. Hat: IMPOSSIBLE! Do you think your aggression is teaching me a lesson about my fancy hat obsession? I suppose I'm about to leave an impression! You'll never see me again... or will you?! MWAHAHA!"
Plague of ShadowsEdit
When talked to:
- "Mr. Hat: Ah! So you're the one who's scaring off all my customers! It's enough to make a haberdasher flip his lid!"
- "Plague Knight: Hee hee, do you do hoods? I could use a blast-proof lining on mine!"
- "Mr. Hat: !!! You miscreant! HOODS! That's not even a proper hat! No structure, no support! No... FLAIR!"
- "Plague Knight: Hats are a waste of felt, old man! They fall off in the wind! Hoods are objectively more utilitarian!"
- "Mr. Hat: How... how DARE you, sirrah! I demand satisfaction! HAVE AT YOU!"
After the fight:
- "Plague Knight: Hee, wow, for a geezer, you sure put up a fight! How'd you get all those moves?"
- "Mr. Hat: Ah, well, my hats aren't just fashion accessories. Each one bestows great powers upon me!"
- "Plague Knight: ... whoa, power? I'll take ten of your finest hats, then!"
- "Mr. Hat: Sadly, the powers are unique to yours truly. They'd only make you LOOK powerful... and classy!"
- "Plague Knight: Oh, blast! Well, hee hee, uh, see you later, then!"
- "Mr. Hat: ... Indeed!!"
King of Cards Edit
When talked to (in the Fancy Shop):
- "Mr. Hat: Oh! A gold-clad guest, with a platinum panache! How lovely! Welcome to my fancy shop!"
- "Mr. Hat: I sell only the fanciest fashions. Clearly, you're in the right place. Look at that hat! It's positively regal."
- "King Knight: This is a crown, not a hat. Do you know what that makes me?"
- "Mr. Hat: Delightfully modest? Ha!A peek at my noblest wares, mayhaps?"
When Mr. Hat stalks King Knight outside the shop (first time):
- "Mr. Hat: Sir...I implore you to make a purchase!"
- "Mr. Hat: Is there nothing that suits you? Come back...I was so looking forward to trying on a new hat!"
Trying to leave the level/Before the battle:
- "Mr. Hat: End of the line, you tight-fisted curmudgeon! I'll have your hat, if it's the last thing I do!"
After the battle:
- "Mr. Hat: Enough! I know not what came over me! Your hat...I can't look away! It shines and glimmers maddeningly!"
- "Mr. Hat: ...Just a bit of cabin fever, really. It's hard to make a friend or a sale in such a remote location!"
- "King Knight: Well, that's all very interesting, but I had better get going."
- "Mr. Hat: I'd do anythingfor passage on your airship, to escape this dead location! Here, let me mend your rope!"
After the rope is repaired:
- "Mr. Hat: Here I am, hat in hand! With a new locale, my fancy shop is about to move on, and up!"
- "King Knight: Fine, fine, get on with it! Let's go! You're starting to give me a crown-ache!"
When Mr. Hat boards the Glidewing:
- "Mr. Hat: All my thanks for this new location! It simply gleams with rustic potential."
- "Mr. Hat: As for appointments, you'refancy enough not to need one! And I've lowered my prices, just for you."
Before third stage battle (Baz's story):
- "Baz: Heyyyy, rockin' that helmet, bud. I'm lovin' it. You wouldn't happen to know if this place has an exit...?"
- "Mr. Hat: Hello, hello! Oh, no hat. Shame, shame indeed. Ahhh, but wait a moment. I know you. I fitted you for the armor you're wearing now. Yes, yes, you were in my shop. You didn't pay."
- "Baz: Uh oh... Uhhh!Look, I was counting on a signing bonus with the Order, but uh..... It's complicated."
- "Mr. Hat: There are only two things that truly anger me. One is going hatless. The other....is being stolen from!"
Before ninth stage battle (Baz's story):
- "Mr. Hat: Hark! Whip man! I am prepared to offer you mercy, and a job in my fancy shop to repay your debt. We need only destroy the mirror that binds us here in endless battle! What do you say....friend?"
- "Baz: Haw! You think the Baz is gonna work in some stinky ol' hat store? You're outta your mind! I don't wear aprons or sweep floors, 'specially for the man.I punch faces, not clocks. And, just sayin, I'm pretty sure after I'm done with you, you won't even remember my debt!"
- His sprite model is named "Hat Knight".
- Mr. Hat is the only member of the Wandering Travellers not fought as an encounter on the map.
- Mr. Hat, Phantom Striker and Propeller Knight are the only main characters in Shovel Knight to use a sword as a weapon.
- Immediately after defeating Mr. Hat he can be chased around the Armor Outpost giving 1000 gold each time he is spoken to. First he appears on top of the sign to his shop, then he appears in the airship. If the second wave of the Order of No Quarter has already been defeated he can be found a third time by the catapult.
- His conversation after being defeated by Plague Knight hints that he might be older than he looks.
- In the Plague Knight playthrough, one of the minions in the armor outpost will mention something about removing the blast-proof lining on their hood, while Plague Knight asks Mr. Hat about adding one.
- The developers designed a Body Swap version for Mr. Hat, although only the main cast of Shovel of Hope had one added to the campaign.
- His artwork depicts him wielding his sword and cane separately, but his in-game sprite shows him turning his cane into a sword instead.
- ↑ Update: Almost there! and Director for a Day reveals! on the Kickstarter pages of Shovel Knight
|Plague of Shadows Characters|
|Main Characters:||Plague Knight • Mona • Percy • Black Knight • Shovel Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travellers:||Reize • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Team Plague:||Magicist • Hedge Pupil • Mail Minion • Oolong • Plague Minions|
|Armor Outpost:||Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Airship Enthusiast|
|Hall of Champions:||Head Guard • Cultured Fellow • Patron|
|Troupple Pond:||Troupple King • Troupples|
|Mini-Bosses:||Teethalon • The Dinghy Dropper • The Alchemeister|
|Final Bosses:||Plague of Shadows • Corrupted Essence|
|Specter of Torment Characters|
|Main Characters:||Specter Knight • Shield Knight • Luan • Reize • Dark Reize • Black Knight (Terrorpin) • The Enchantress|
|Order Recruits:||King Knight • Phantom Striker • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Tower of Fate:||Red • Manny • Missy • Dark Acolyte • Creech • Legion • Scrying Glass • Memmec • Dragonarmor • Edge Farmer • Horace • Scarlet • Dancer • Gall • Baz • Wizzems • Boneclangs • Goldarmors • Liquid Samurais • Hover Meanie • Hoverhaft • Hoppicles • Birder • Super Skeleton • Ghost • Tundread • Rail Raiders • Plague Minions • Gulper Mage • Cogslotter|
|Mini-Bosses:||Teethalon • The Dinghy Dropper • The Alchemeister • Hurlsvelgr|
|Final Boss:||Nightmare Reize|