|Stage||Explodatorium (Plague of Shadows)|
|Theme||Battling the Burrower|
|“||I will NEVER give up on you. I will follow you to the end of the world.||”|
Shovel Knight is the main and titular character of Shovel of Hope. Usually clad in light blue armor, he is a chivalrous knight trying to stop the Enchantress from taking over the Valley and find his beloved Shield Knight, lost to the Tower of Fate.
|“||A practitioner of the ancient code of Shovelry, Shovel Knight can do almost anything with his signature weapon: the Shovel Blade. His ingenuity and quick thinking have won him many battles, even though his stature is small! Always honest and helpful, Shovel Knight lives by the creed of Shovelry: Slash Mercilessly and Dig Tirelessly!||”|
- Pros: Kind Hearted, Clever, Master of the Shovel Blade
- Cons: Bound by the Code of Shovelry
Shovel Knight wears the Stalwart Plate, a blue piece of armor with shoulder pads, a plate, and a horned helmet. He has a round body and is usually short (depending how he is depicted in art or in game). Hence the name he uses a special type of shovel, the Shovel Blade.
Personality and TraitsEdit
Always honest and helpful, Shovel Knight aids people he meets along his journey, such as the Bard and the Deposed King of Pridemoor Keep. He constantly dreams of Shield Knight, fighting away imaginary enemies while attempting to catch her.
He solves many physically and mentally challenging puzzles throughout the lairs of The Order of No Quarter, proving his great intelligence and strength. Shovel Knight is a shining example of the Code of Shovelry: Slash Mercilessly and Dig Tirelessly!
Shovel Knight's main form of attack is his trusty Shovel Blade and although out of commission for quite a while, he still retains great skill with it. Just by swinging his Shovel Blade he performs a Dig Slash, which can be used to inflict damage, uncover treasure, break blocks, open chests, find secret rooms, and reflect projectiles. He can also point it towards the ground and plunge while midair to bounce on obstacles and enemies, damaging his adversaries from an advantaged position. This technique is called the Shovel Drop and it can be easily be interrupted just with a swing of the shovel while plunging.
Shovel Knight either doesn't need to breathe or can hold his breath for an absurdly long time, demonstrated primarily in the Iron Whale level. This could, however, simply be a throwback to retro characters who often didn't have to breathe when in water.
Plague of ShadowsEdit
In Plague of Shadows, Shovel Knight can be seen running around in the background occasionally; he appears in the Village and the Armor Outpost, although he cannot be interacted with. He is also fought wherever Plague Knight would be fought typically. In the credits, he is shown to have joined the Wandering Travelers.
As a bossEdit
Plague Knight encounters Shovel Knight as the boss of the Explodatorium and during the Battle Royale. In addition to his Shovel Blade to attack and reflect projectiles, Shovel Knight uses the Flare Wand, Phase Locket, Throwing Anchor, War Horn and the Chaos Sphere. When he has lost approximately six health, he uses an Ichor of Renewal to heal himself. After he does this, he becomes far more proactive with reflecting Plague Knight's bombs. When fought long enough, he runs out of Magic and will stop using Relics altogether.
Before the fight:
- "Plague Knight: I hear footsteps! Someone's near, HEE HEE HEE!"
- "Plague Knight: ...HEE! Leave me alone!"
- "Shovel Knight: Show yourself, Plague Knight! Your trickery will not stop me."
- "Plague Knight: Trickery?! HEE! The fruits of my research are no mere trick! BOOOOM! HEE HEE HEE HEE! Now let's have a lesson, shall we! I promise... HEE! It will be enlightening!"
After the fight, at a campfire:
- "Plague Knight: Hee hee hee! Thought you'd get away with your Essence, huh?"
- "Plague Knight: HA HA HA! Sleeping like a blue baby."
Stage Introduction SplashesEdit
- Strike the Earth
- Justice In Spades
- Get Digging
- Sharpen thy Shovel
- Let's Get Shoveling
- It's Shoveling Time
- For Shovelry
- Dig In
Cameos and Playable AppearancesEdit
- Main article: Appearances in Other Media
- When fought as a boss in the Explodatorium, Shovel Knight will have access to the War Horn, which he shouldn't have been able to obtain yet.
- In the Battle Royale in Plague of Shadows, he will always be the last Knight to battle.
- Shovel Knight also appeared in an episode of the ScrewAttack webseries DEATH BATTLE!, where he lost to Ducktales's Scrooge McDuck.
- Shovel Knight's blue hue may be a reference to the NES' color palette. The NES' colors had more variations of blue than anything else. This is the reason a lot of NES characters are blue (i.e. Mega Man).
- Ironically, Shovel Knight is never seen in Specter of Torment. This may be because it is a prequel, when Shield Knight was lost to the Tower of Fate, and Shovel Knight was still in solitude.
- However, there is a slight nod to him when a Wizzem in the Tower of Fate says "Even the most legendary or stalwart knights could never stand a chance!" and stalwart is highlighted in Shovel Knight's blue, and legendary in Shield Knight's red.
- Shovel Knight's code, Shovelry, is a play on words on Chivalry, which is an informal, varying code of conduct developed between 1170 and 1220, never decided on or summarized in a single document, associated with the medieval institution of knighthood; knights' and gentlewomen's behaviors were governed by chivalrous social codes.
|Shovel of Hope Characters|
|Main Characters:||Shovel Knight • Shield Knight • Black Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Kratos • Battletoads • Madame Meeber|
|Village:||Bard • Goatician • Gastronomer • Magicist • Juice Maid • Dancer • Deposed King • Grandma Swamp • Mona • Croaker • Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Hoop Kid • Hedge Farmer • Water Carrier • Grizzled Seer|
|Armor Outpost:||Wallace • Fisherman • Toader • Mary Sweets • Leo • Peacock Gent • Dolly • Armorer • Shovel Smith • Yoppler • Airship Enthusiast • ????|
|Hall of Champions:||Ticketer • Cultured Fellow • Patron|
|Other Characters:||Troupple King • Troupple|
|Plague of Shadows Characters|
|Main Characters:||Plague Knight • Mona • Black Knight • Shovel Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travelers:||Shovel Knight • Reize Seatlan • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Potionarium:||Magicist • Hedge Pupil • Mail Minion • Percy • Oolong|
|Armor Outpost:||Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Leo • Peacock Gent • Dolly • Airship Enthusiast|
|Hall of Champions:||Head Guard • Cultured Fellow • Patron|
|Other Characters:||Troupple King • Troupple • Plague of Shadows • Corrupted Essence|