|“||Toss bombs in this tricky alternate quest!||”|
Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows is the second campaign of Shovel Knight and an alternate story to Shovel of Hope. It stars the mad alchemist Plague Knight in his quest to craft the Serum Supernus, the Ultimate Potion, from the Essences of his fellow knights of the Order of No Quarter. The campaign adds new related Feats and initially introduced Challenge Mode for both Shovel Knight and Plague Knight.
Plague of Shadows was released on September 17, 2015 as a free expansion to Shovel Knight.
|“|| 'Long ago, the lands were untamed, and roamed by legendary adventurers!|
But villainy ran rampant, and in time, even the most stalwart heroes fell.
In the absence of champions, the Enchantress and her Order of No Quarter swept into power.
Unbeknownst to everyone, the maniacal alchemist Plague Knight had plans of his own.
He sought nothing less than to concoct a potion of unlimited power!
A draft so fiendishly potent that nothing he desired would be out of his reach.
Each knight unknowingly guards a crucial ingredient. Now, the collection must begin...'
Major Differences from Shovel of HopeEdit
- Plague Knight has a different set of abilities in contrast to Shovel Knight.
- His primary weapon, Bombs, can be customized with different casings, powders, and fuses. This affects its range, power and play style depending on the combination.
- He has a shorter jump than Shovel Knight, but he gets two jumps.
- He has a Bomb Burst, done by holding down the attack button, which serves primarily as another jump, propelling him high, as well to damage enemies. It can also be customized, affecting trajectory and power.
- Similarly to Shovel Knight's Magic, Plague Knight has a special resource, called Power, which refills over time. It's now represented with a green bar instead of a numerical value.
- Plague Knight can find or purchase Health Tonics that temporary increases his health. He loses all health gained from tonics upon death. Due to this Plague Knight's Maximum Health is lower than Shovel Knight's. However, his health will be permanently increased upon completing a quadrant.
- Plague Knight can equip different outfits, called Cloaks, similar to Shovel Knight's Armors, which can give new abilities and drawbacks.
- Plague Knight can find Cipher Coins located throughout the stages in addition to Music Sheets. These items are a special currency used to buy and upgrade his Bombs and Burst.
- Plague Knight's Main base of operations is the Potionarium instead of the Village.
- The stages are slightly altered to accommodate Plague Knight's different abilities.
- All the major stages have secret paths leading to a specific Relic, which can be traded with Chester for Arcana on the same stage. These are the exact same Relics Chester sells to Shovel Knight (meaning he obtained the Relics from Plague Knight in the first place).
- Some of the in-game events happen slightly differently.
- Shovel Knight acts as the Boss for both Explodatorium and Battle Royale levels.
- A different Final Boss and Ending.
Story Differences from Shovel of Hope Edit
| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details about an event that occurs later in the game.
Although it is implied that Plague of Shadows' story occurs at about the same time from Shovel of Hope, for the most part, there are some minor differences that imply some parts of the story are not canon. However, they could simply be Plague Knight's take on the events as the story is told from his perspective. Also, another take could be that Plague of Shadows is canon and some of the conflicting events from Shovel of Hope are not canon. This is due to the fact that Plague of Shadows was developed later, adding more story elements and depth to previously minor characters, which connect the plot of Plague of Shadows to Shovel of Hope. Some events are also related to the player's choice during Shovel of Hope (i.e. helping the members of The Order of No Quarter after the Battle Royale). This is also evident when playing the Specter of Torment prequel, which will tie its events to the other two campaigns.
- Mona is involved with Plague Knight as his partner and romantic interest. In Shovel of Hope, she is not implied to have any association with any Order members except for the ending, where she is seen hosting her mini-game in The Lich Yard for Specter Knight. However, it is made clear that Mona's role in the Village is simply a cover so she can work alongside Plague Knight in the Potionarium.
- Mona leaves the Potionarium and the Village after the second encounter with Black Knight. In Shovel of Hope, Mona is still in the Village and is hosting the Potion mini game.
- For all The Order of No Quarter stages except Explodatorium, it's unclear when Plague Knight reaches and battles the other Order members. Though it is implied that Plague Knight is ahead of Shovel Knight as he traded the Relics to Chester for Arcana, it's also unclear how much time difference there is between Shovel Knight and Plague Knight's encounters with the Order.
- Shovel Knight reaches the Explodatorium first as implied by one of Plague Knight's minions who reports that there is an intruder roaming. Despite this, Plague Knight reaches the boss room earlier.
- Plague Knight wins against Shovel Knight in every of their encounters but is sucker punched by Shovel Knight while he is celebrating.
- Baz is defeated by Shovel Knight, and then Plague Knight. He can join Plague Knight to become one of his minions. However, Shovel of Hope indicates that he did not join Plague Knight based on his clothes in the ending sequence.
- The Armor Outpost is conquered by Plague Knight and the Aerial Anvil leaves the town. In Shovel of Hope, this does not happen.
- It is implied that Shovel Knight reaches the Tower of Fate: Entrance and defeats Black Knight first, as he already has the power The Enchantress bestowed upon him when Plague Knight battles him.
- During the Battle Royale, Shovel Knight is seen unconscious until the final battle with Plague Knight, who defeats the Order before falling to Shovel Knight. Shovel Knight does not help the Order and escapes on his own.
- After collecting all the essences from The Order, Plague Knight fights the Plague of Shadows in Tower of Fate: ????, which is a black version of Plague Knight's original sprite model in Shovel of Hope. It then transforms to the Corrupted Essence as the Final Boss.
- Shovel Knight is seen with the Wandering Travelers in the ending. Shield Knight's fate is unknown. Though she could've also survived like in Shovel of Hope, as it is implied that Shovel Knight's fight with The Enchantress happens at the same time of Plague Knight's fight with the Plague of Shadows.
Credits Sequence Edit
From the Village many villagers are seen watching the Tower of Fate. As the tower starts to crumble the villagers start rejoicing.
Pridemoor Keep - King Knight - Knighted by the King Edit
The Deposed King decides to knight Plague Knight, while King Knight continues to clean the floors of Pridemoor Keep. When Plague Knight is knighted he starts to jump up and down excitedly and bumps the Deposed King's crown off of his head.
Troupple Pond - Dancing the Night away Edit
The Troupple King is seen dancing as is the Troupple Acolyte and the Female Troupple Acolyte. As they dance, Oolong can be seen playing music from his head.
Lich Yard - Specter Knight - The Missing Locket Edit
Specter Knight is seen desperately searching the chest where Plague Knight found the Phase Locket. He is aggravated by its absence, lifts the chest telekinetically and slices it in half with his scythe.
Iron Whale - Treasure Knight - Pillaging the Pillagers Edit
Plague Minions are seen leaving the Iron Whale with sacks of gold as Plague Knight throws a Bait Bomb towards Treasure Knight who is sitting in the corner.
Explodatorium - Plague Knight - Under New Management Edit
Percy and The Magicist are watching the Hedge Pupil launching Plague Minions out of a catapult. Percy gets close to the Magicist as a heart forms around their heads.
Lost City - Mole Knight - Cooperative Cloning Edit
Mole Knight can be seen making Slimulacras for Plague Knight and Mona.
The Wandering Travelers - The Battle Rages On Edit
Liquid Samurais are seen rushing. Shovel knight takes them all down and sees Baz, Reize, Mr. Hat and Phantom Striker. He then proceeds to raise his shovel while the others strike their battle poses.
Clockwork Tower - Tinker Knight - Tweaking the Torque Lifts Edit
Tinker Knight is looking at his torque lifts while Plague Knight and Mona stand next to him. As the torque lifts start to get out of control Tinker Knight proceeds to panic while Mona and Plague Knight start moving up the lifts.
Stranded Ship - Polar Knight - Reunion Edit
Polar Knight and Black Knight are seen together by a campfire.
Flying Machine - Propeller Knight Edit
Plague Knight and Mona go on a date on the Flying Machine, with Propeller Knight as the waiter.
Post Credits scene Edit
Plague Knight and Mona are seen dancing in the entrance of the Potionarium .
- Parts of Plague of Shadows are canon to the continuity of Shovel of Hope and Specter of Torment. In the latter, after defeating Plague Knight, talking to the Plague Minions inside the Tower of Fate hints that Plague Knight has a secret base (the Potionarium) in addition to the Explodatorium, and that he is on a new project involving essences. Furthermore, the ending shows Plague Knight's first romantic interaction with Mona while working on the same vat which will later hold the essences harvested from the other knights.
- It is also implied that Shovel Knight has already defeated Treasure Knight prior to their battle as Shovel Knight already has the Throwing Anchor. Plague Knight also uses the Vat in the Shovel of Hope battle.
- Shovel Knight can sometimes be seen using the War Horn during the Explodatorium battle, despite not defeating Polar Knight yet.
- The location and aesthetics where Plague Knight steals the Phase Locket are different from Specter Knight's room in The Lich Yard.
|Shovel Knight series|
|Video Games:||Treasure Trove (Shovel of Hope • Plague of Shadows • Specter of Torment • King of Cards • Showdown ) • Dig|
|Board Games:||Dungeon Duels|
|Features:||Custom Knight • Body Swap Mode • Sound Test|
|Soundtracks:||Shovel Knight Original Soundtrack • Plague of Shadows Original Soundtrack • Specter of Torment Original Soundtrack • King of Cards Original Soundtrack|
|Miscellaneous:||amiibo • Official Design Works|