|“||Toss bombs in this tricky alternate quest!||”|
Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows is the second campaign of Shovel Knight and a parallel story to Shovel of Hope. It stars the mad alchemist Plague Knight in his quest to craft the Ultimate Potion from the Essences of his fellow knights of the Order of No Quarter. The campaign adds new related Feats and initially introduced Challenge Mode for both Shovel Knight and Plague Knight.
Plague of Shadows was released on September 17, 2015 as a free expansion to Shovel Knight. It is currently only playable in Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove.
|“|| Long ago, the lands were untamed, and roamed by legendary adventurers!|
But villainy ran rampant, and in time, even the most stalwart heroes fell.
In the absence of champions, the Enchantress and her Order of No Quarter swept into power.
Unbeknownst to everyone, the maniacal alchemist Plague Knight had plans of his own.
He sought nothing less than to concoct a potion of unlimited power!
A draft so fiendishly potent that nothing he desired would be out of his reach.
Each knight unknowingly guards a crucial ingredient. Now, the collection must begin...
Major Differences from Shovel of HopeEdit
- Plague Knight has a different set of abilities in contrast to Shovel Knight.
- His primary weapon, Bombs, can be customized with different casings, powders, and fuses. This affects its range, power and play style depending on the combination.
- He has a shorter jump than Shovel Knight, but he gets two jumps.
- He has a Bomb Burst, done by holding down the attack button, which serves primarily as another jump, propelling him high, as well to damage enemies. It can also be customized, affecting trajectory and power.
- Similarly to Shovel Knight's Magic, Plague Knight has a special resource, called Power, which refills over time. Power is represented with a green bar instead of a numerical value.
- Plague Knight can find or purchase Health Tonics that temporary increases his health. He loses all health gained from tonics upon death. Due to this Plague Knight's Maximum Health is lower than Shovel Knight's. However, his health will be permanently increased by one unit upon completing a quadrant of the map.
- Plague Knight can equip different outfits, called Cloaks, similar to Shovel Knight's Armors, which can give new abilities and drawbacks.
- Plague Knight can find Cipher Coins located throughout the stages in addition to Music Sheets. These items are a special currency used to buy and upgrade his Bombs and Burst.
- Plague Knight's Main base of operations is the Potionarium instead of the Village.
- The stages are slightly altered to accommodate Plague Knight's different abilities.
- All the major stages have secret paths leading to a specific Relic, which can be traded with Chester for Arcana on the same stage. These are the exact same Relics Chester sells to Shovel Knight (meaning he obtained the Relics from Plague Knight in the first place).
- Some of the in-game events happen slightly differently.
- Shovel Knight acts as the Boss for both Explodatorium and Battle Royale levels.
- A different Final Boss and Ending.
Story Differences from Shovel of Hope Edit
Although for the most part Plague of Shadows' story occurs at about the same time from Shovel of Hope, there are some minor differences between the two tales. This is due to the stories being told respectively from Plague Knight's and Shovel Knight's perspectives. Some of these differences are related to the player's choices during Shovel of Hope (i.e. helping the members of The Order of No Quarter after the Battle Royale, reentering the Village and Armor Outpost again after their initial visit).
- Mona is involved with Plague Knight as his closest ally and romantic interest. In Shovel of Hope, she is not implied to have any association with any Order members except for the ending, where she is seen hosting her mini-game in The Lich Yard for Specter Knight. However, it is made clear that Mona's role in the Village is simply a cover so she can work alongside Plague Knight in the Potionarium, a secret base constructed under the Village.
- Mona leaves the Potionarium and the Village after the second encounter with Black Knight. In Shovel of Hope, should Shovel Knight visit again, Mona is still in the Village and is hosting the Potion mini game.
- For all The Order of No Quarter stages except Explodatorium, it's unclear when Plague Knight reaches and battles the other Order members. Though it is implied that Plague Knight is ahead of Shovel Knight as he traded the Relics to Chester for his Arcana, it's also unclear how much time difference there is between Shovel Knight and Plague Knight's encounters with the Order.
- Shovel Knight reaches the Explodatorium first as implied by one of Plague Knight's minions who reports that there is an intruder roaming. Despite this, Plague Knight reaches the boss room earlier and prepares for their meeting. Right next to the boss room, inside Plague Knight personal chamber, the mask he is seen wearing in Shovel of Hope is found, implying that he may have switched to the more menacing look for his encounter with Shovel Knight. This event however is not directly shown.
- Plague Knight wins against Shovel Knight in all of their encounters but is sucker punched by Shovel Knight while he is celebrating.
- The Armor Outpost is conquered by Plague Knight and the Aerial Anvil leaves the town. In Shovel of Hope, this does not happen and Shovel Knight can reenter the Outpost as many times as he pleases.
- Baz is defeated by Shovel Knight, and then Plague Knight. He can join Plague Knight to become one of his minions. However, Shovel of Hope's ending sequence has no indication of this fact due to his clothes not changing.
- When Plague Knight reaches the Hall of Champions it is no longer haunted. Since he would later destroy all of the paintings inside, it is implied that this visit occurs after Shovel Knight's ghost busting activities.
- It is implied that Shovel Knight reaches the Tower of Fate: Entrance and defeats Black Knight first, as he already has the power The Enchantress bestowed upon him when Plague Knight battles him. Plague Knight however would later surpass Shovel Knight and reach the dining room in the Tower of Fate: Ascent first, albeit by just a few minutes.
- During the Battle Royale, Shovel Knight is seen dazed and half-unconscious until the final battle with Plague Knight, who defeats the Order before falling to Shovel Knight in a similar fashion as their previous encounter. Shovel Knight does not help the Order and escapes on his own.
- Plague Knight battle the Enchantress first. However she is not defeated, she just prefer to surrender her Essence because she is unwilling to kill Plague Knight, deeming it too much of an asset to lose. Her battle with Shovel Knight takes place immediately after her retreat, in what it can only be assumed, to be a different yet identical section of the Tower.
- Black Knight reaches Plague Knight, bringing Mona along with himself, seconds after the alchemist battle with the Enchantress. Upon hearing of his lateness, he leaves in her search, only to find Shield Knight locked into battle with the Remnant of Fate and Shovel Knight knocked out.
- After collecting all the Essences from The Order and Shovel Knight, Plague Knight fights the Plague of Shadows in Tower of Fate: ????. It then transforms to the Corrupted Essence as his Final Boss. Plague Knight then decides to detonate the Ultimate Potion, causing the collapsing of the Tower seen in Shovel of Hope after the battle with the Remnant of Fate.
- Shovel Knight is seen with the Wandering Travellers in the ending. Shield Knight is never mentioned or directly shown during the entire campaign.
Plague Knight clears his way through the plains, defeating all foes in his path. He then sees Black Knight who is trying to dissuade Magicist from helping Plague Knight with his research on the Ultimate Potion, but Magicist pretends to know nothing about it and leaves when she hears someone coming. Plague Knight meets up with Black Knight and defeats him. The Black Knight then flees defeated.
When Plague Knight first arrives at the Village Farrels warns him that he cannot enter the village with a weapon. He then recognizes the knight and forbids him entry, so Plague Knight is forced to use the secret entrance from Hedge Pupil's house to reach Mona's room. There he informs her about the Black Knight situation but she isn't bothered at all. She pulls the lever and both of them are transported to their hideout, Potionarium. After some last minute information about the essences from Mona, he then leaves to collect them.
After this he returns to the Potionarium to see Mona dancing by herself. They then talk a bit and Plague Knight decides to get dancing lessons. She also gives him a health potion.
Plague Knight pressed on further into the Valley and visited the Iron Whale and the Lost City, defeating Treasure Knight and Mole Knight and took their essences. He also visited the Explodatorium, which was in uproar due to rebellion of his workers. One of his loyal minions also informed him that a intruder was seen inside the facility. This intruder was later revealed to be Shovel Knight. They battle and Plague Knight is victorious, only for Shovel Knight to attack him from behind and taking his essence back. Plague Knight then goes to Shovel Knight's campsite and takes his essence out of his backpack.
After defeating all three he returned to the Potionarium. When the last essence was studied, the lever jammed, so Mona wanted Plague Knight's help of unjamming it. But before they could touch hands, the power is cut off and then on again and Percy (one of the Plague Knight's companions) informs them that he fixed the power. They then talk like nothing happened and she gives him another health potion.
Plague Knight encountered Reize who mistakenly assumed that Plague Knight is a hero and requested a love potion from him for his beloved. Plague Knight considered this the waste of time, but Reize insisted and told him if he is defeated, he will tell his funniest joke. Plague Knight defeated Reize and he told him his joke. Plague Knight and Reize parted on good terms.
Plague Knight also encountered Baz who was angry at being defeated by Shovel Knight, so he decided to switch his goals. Upon seeing Plague Knight, he decides to be an alchemist, but only after defeating Plague Knight. After being defeated, Plague Knight can either leave him or offer him a place on his team, which Baz gladly accepts. If recruited, Baz is seen in the Potionarium afterwards.
When Plague Knight visited the Armor Outpost, he found Percy working on the catapult. After assisting him, Plague Knight used the catapult and landed in the middle of the Outpost. There a group of knights attacked him. He defeated them all and witnessed the Aerial Anvil flying off. He then declared that Armor Outpost is his. He then went to Mr. Hat's shop, who was quite angry that all his customers were scared off, so he attacked. After being defeated Mr. Hat apologized and fled. Plague Knight then bought a chalice from Troupple Acolyte and went to Troupple Pond, where Troupple King taught him how to dance.
Plague Knight also visited the Hall of Champions. The head guard in front pretended to not recognize him, so Plague Knight went inside. There he was ambushed by the group of Knights. After defeating all of them, head guard called a surrender. He then stroke a deal with Plague Knight that anytime he visits, he can help other knights with their training. For the reward of course.
In the third area Shovel Knight ventured to the Clockwork Tower, the Stranded Ship, and the Flying Machine, defeating Tinker Knight, Polar Knight, and Propeller Knight, taking their essences in the process.
After taking the first essence out of three, Plague Knight also encountered the Black Knight again who had been conversing with Mona. She was trying to persuade him to help Plague Knight take The Enchantress' essence, but Black Knight refused. When Plague Knight appeared, he and Mona got into an argument after the misunderstanding. Black Knight fought Plague Knight again but was defeated and fled one more time. After that, Plague Knight went back to Potionarium, only to find Percy instead of Mona.
Plague Knight then went to other two areas and took the corresponding essences. He then returned to the Potionarium but Mona still wasn't present, but she left behind a last health potion. Plague Knight and Percy then almost completed the Ultimate Potion, with Plague Knight taking it to the Tower of Fate.
Plague Knight was also approached by Phantom Striker who challenged him. Although Plague Knight tried to avoid the fight, Phantom Striker was insistent. After being defeated Phantom Striker appraised Plague Knight's dodging skills and left him some treasure, the amount depends on how well Plague Knight fought him.
The Tower of FateEdit
At last Plague Knight entered the ramparts of the Tower of Fate. After navigating them for a while he encountered Black Knight once more. Plague Knight asked him why he was talking with Mona and after getting the answer, he attacked Black Knight. They battled again but Plague Knight came out victorious for the third time. Black Knight noticed the knight's love for Mona, but didn't understand why he needs the Ultimate Potion. Plague Knights explains that if he uses it, Mona will love him, but Black Knight tells him she already does. He doesn't believe him and goes inside the tower.
After climbing further up the Tower of Fate Plague Knight ended up landing in the middle of a feast the Order of No Quarter were having. Shortly after, Shovel Knight also landed in the same room but knocked himself out. The Order knights fought Plague Knight due to his betrayal but he defeated them all. Shovel Knight then woke up and also battled Plague Knight, but was defeated as well. But like before, he secretly attacked Plague Knight from behind. The Order was left hanging and King Knight pleaded with Shovel Knight to help them up. Shovel Knight ignored him and left. Plague Knight then jumps off to continue in his quest.
Plague Knight eventually reached the Enchantress and engaged her in battle. They battled for a bit, but The Enchantress stopped the fight and gave Plague Knight her essence, since she thought his wish won't come true anyways and she doesn't want to lose valuable asset. Her essence is mixed with the others. Black Knight returns with Mona and they both plead that Plague Knight should come to his senses. Plague Knight confesses his love for Mona and she hers for him. He also informs Mona and Black Knight that he already defeated The Enchantress. Black Knight leaves to find her. The essences react differently than Mona expected and they combine within Plague Knight, creating his doppelganger, Plague of Shadows. Plague Knight can fight it (or not) and it further transforms into Corrupted Essence. Plague Knight defeats it and the Ultimate Potion is created. Since Plague Knight has Mona now, he doesn't need it anymore, so he uses it to blow up the Tower of Fate.
From the Village many villagers are seen watching the Tower of Fate. As the tower starts to crumble the villagers start rejoicing.
Pridemoor Keep - King Knight - Knighted by the KingEdit
The Deposed King decides to knight Plague Knight, while King Knight continues to clean the floors of Pridemoor Keep. When Plague Knight is knighted he starts to jump up and down excitedly and bumps the Deposed King's crown off of his head.
Troupple Pond - Dancing the Night awayEdit
The Troupple King is seen dancing as is the Troupple Acolyte and the Female Troupple Acolyte. As they dance, Oolong can be seen playing music from his head.
Lich Yard - Specter Knight - The Missing LocketEdit
Specter Knight is seen desperately searching the chest where Plague Knight found the Phase Locket. He is very aggravated by its absence, lifts the chest telekinetically and slices it in half with his scythe. This plot element would later be explored in great detail in Specter of Torment.
Iron Whale - Treasure Knight - Pillaging the PillagersEdit
Plague Minions are seen leaving the Iron Whale with sacks of gold as Plague Knight throws a Bait Bomb towards Treasure Knight who is sitting in the corner.
Explodatorium - Plague Knight - Under New ManagementEdit
Percy and The Magicist are watching the Hedge Pupil launching Plague Minions out of a catapult. Percy gets close to the Magicist as a heart forms around their heads.
Lost City - Mole Knight - Cooperative CloningEdit
Mole Knight can be seen making Slimulacras with Plague Knight and Mona.
The Wandering Travellers - The Battle Rages OnEdit
Liquid Samurais are seen rushing. Shovel Knight takes them all down and sees Baz, Reize, Mr. Hat and Phantom Striker. He then proceeds to raise his shovel while the others strike their battle poses.
Clockwork Tower - Tinker Knight - Tweaking the Torque LiftsEdit
Tinker Knight is looking at his torque lifts while Plague Knight and Mona stand next to him. As the torque lifts start to get out of control Tinker Knight proceeds to panic while Mona and Plague Knight start moving up the lifts.
Stranded Ship - Polar Knight - ReunionEdit
Polar Knight and Black Knight are seen together by a campfire.
Flying Machine - Propeller KnightEdit
Plague Knight and Mona go on a date on the Flying Machine, with Propeller Knight as the waiter.
Plague Knight and Mona return to the Potionarium and Percy congratulates them for their work. Magicist still thinks that Plague Knight did all of this for her, but she rejects him and confesses her love for Percy instead, leaving Plague Knight and Mona speechless. One of the Plague Minions comes in and tells everyone that the Villagers are buying drinks for the alchemists. Only the Minion, Percy and Magicist leave, while Plague Knight and Mona stay in the Potionarium.
Post Credits sceneEdit
Plague Knight and Mona are seen dancing in the entrance of the Potionarium.
- In Specter of Torment, after defeating Plague Knight, talking to the Plague Minions inside the Tower of Fate hints that Plague Knight has a secret base (the Potionarium) in addition to the Explodatorium, and that he is on a new project involving Essences. Furthermore, the ending shows Plague Knight's first romantic interaction with Mona while working on the same vat which will later hold the Essences harvested from the other knights.
- It is implied that Shovel Knight has already defeated Treasure Knight prior to his battle with Plague Knight, as Shovel Knight already has the Throwing Anchor. Plague Knight also uses the Vat Arcana in the Shovel of Hope battle.
- The location and aesthetics where Plague Knight steals the Phase Locket are different from Specter Knight's room found in The Lich Yard. However during the ending sequence of Specter of Torment, we can see that water has began seeping into the room, giving it a transitional look between its previous appearance and what it will become in Plague of Shadows.
- It's the only campaign which does not have a standalone release.
|Shovel Knight series|
|Video Games:||Treasure Trove (Shovel of Hope • Plague of Shadows • Specter of Torment • King of Cards • Showdown ) • Dig • Pocket Dungeon|
|Board Games:||Dungeon Duels|
|Soundtracks:||Shovel Knight Original Soundtrack • Strike the Earth! Shovel Knight Arranged • Plague of Shadows Original Soundtrack • Specter of Torment Original Soundtrack • King of Cards Original Soundtrack|
|Miscellaneous:||amiibo • Official Design Works|
|Treasure Trove Features:||Co-op Mode • Custom Knight • Body Swap Mode • Sound Test • Feats • Challenge Mode • New Game Plus • "Butt Mode" • Cheat Codes • Joustus|