|“|| She granted me new life... |
So that I may take yours!
|“||In life, Specter Knight was a cruel and cunning warrior. And although his blood is now icy cold, he is no less formidable as a phantasm. The most begrudgingly loyal knight of the Order, Specter Knight follows the Enchantress only because she is capable of magically extending his undeath. Clutching a grim Scythe in his shriveled claws, Specter Knight commands his weapon with uncommon cunning... and his next target is Shovel Knight.||”|
- Pros: Tattered crimson cloak, supernatural scythe, immortality
- Cons: Overly sentimental, tries too hard to act cool
Specter Knight is a thoroughly cruel Knight, showing sheer coldness towards his enemies, as well as being somewhat sarcastic. He has a tendency to hiss at people when he is angry or annoyed.
When about to face Shovel Knight, he taunts him with the memory of Shield Knight by insisting she is dead. Whilst many of his comrades acknowledge Shovel Knight's strength to some extent after the Battle Royale, Specter Knight instead affirms his faith in The Enchantress and assures Shovel Knight that he cannot succeed. He may do this because he fears what may happen to him should The Enchantress die, as her powers are what keep him "alive".
Before battling Plague Knight, he is quick to mock him for his cowardice, being the only one able to reduce Plague Knight to stunned silence.
As shown in Specter of Torment, Donovan's loyalty to The Enchantress is actually incredibly forced, despite her being the one who resurrected him in the first place. In reality, Specter Knight hates The Enchantress and deeply resents her treatment of him, only serving her because he is forced to, as he had relinquished his free will to her.
At the start of Specter of Torment, he only agreed to serve her as part of a deal so she can restore him back to life. This is enforced by the Keepsake Locket, which The Enchantress granted the power to reverse death, but only when 8 knights swear their loyalty to her, thus Donovan is forced on a quest to gather them for her.
After discovering that The Enchantress is actually Shield Knight, he also shows how angry he can be, and proceeded to attempt to slay her, knowing he would never be restored to life if he succeeded. He does not believe that there is anything left of Shield Knight in the Enchantress, and that attempting to return her to normal is a pointless endeavor, nor does he care to try due to his deep-seated hatred of her. His sarcastic remarks about Shield Knight being dead to Shovel Knight may stem from this.
Though his loyalty to The Enchantress is forced, his loyalty to his late-friend Luan is genuine. He swore to protect Luan's son, Reize, at all costs, even at his own life. He honors this oath so far, that he took Reize's place as the 8th knight of the Order of No Quarter, relinquishing his own free will to The Enchantress, and then used the locket's power that could have restored his humanity to save Reize from The Enchantress's power.
While he can be genuinely ruthless and cold, his heart is not as dead as he is. He still feels incredibly guilty over having a hand in the death of Luan.
|“||I never knew you as a coward, Luan! We'll leave once we have our prize!||”|
|“||Luan... I would lay down my life to save his. I promise.||”|
|“|| It was |
Shield Knightall along!! She took
everything! The Amulet! Luan! She stole my very life away! This ends tonight
|“||You cannot stop the Enchantress, but as her eighth knight, you could roam the Valley as you wish... even find the one you seek.||”|
King Knight Edit
|“||No. Please! It can't be... Oh, anyone but you...||”|
Shovel of Hope/Plague of ShadowsEdit
Specter Knight utilizes the lighting of the stage and the Boneclangs found earlier in the stage to bolster his defenses, using darkness to hinder his opponent's sight.
- Judgment Rush
- Scythe Toss
- Specter Knight moves to one of the four corners of the arena and tosses his scythe toward any corner of the arena in an arcing trajectory. While the scythe is spinning, he will teleport to whichever corner of the arena his scythe is heading toward (unless its trajectory is set to return to him).
- Raise Dead
- Specter Knight raises his fist and absorbs all present Boneclangs, restoring a bit of his health for each one.
- Scythe Slash
- This is a close range attack. Specter Knight holds his scythe behind him and floats into close range to attack.
- Lightning Strike
- Specter Knight raises his fist, shrouding the stage in darkness and making his attacks difficult to see. Occasionally lightning flashes, giving the player a brief view of what's happening. This will only occur after the player have reduced Specter Knight's health to three full circles or less.
One of the easier ways to defeat Specter Knight is to use a combination of the Phase Locket and the Shovel Blade. The Phase Locket can be used to easily avoid Specter Knight's Scythe Charge and Scythe Toss attacks which can be difficult to dodge. If you have the Ornate Plate, you can see where you are, despite the darkness.
King of CardsEdit
Specter Knight faces King Knight twice in King of Cards, using his ninja-like form seen in Specter of Torment. His first appearance is in Spectral Ravine, where he tries to give King Knight advice on how to become a champion of Joustus, but becomes aggravated by King Knight's arrogant personality and decides to fight the gilded goon instead. During this battle, Specter Knight runs and jumps around the room, sometimes using his Curios to attack. He'll often shoot Bounding Souls and Spider Scythe, and will sometimes jump into the air to use Dread Talon. On rare occasions, he'll use Judgement Rush but the attack can be interrupted.
Later, Specter Knight appears as an Encounter Boss blocking the way to King Birder's stage, King's Roost. Here he uses his Curios much more often, and breaks out the Throwing Sickle and Skeletal Sentry in addition to the ones he used in his first battle. However, once his health is reduced to three full health bubbles, Specter Knight channels his power and transforms into his reaper-like form from Shovel of Hope and fights exactly as he did in the aforementioned campaign.
Similarly to Plague Knight in Plague of Shadows, in Specter of Torment Specter Knight receives a new sprite set that makes him smaller (almost the same size as Shovel Knight) and with unique animations for walking, jumping and climbing, among others. His design has been slightly tweaked, as his cloak no longer covers the majority of his body, allowing players to see his armor.
Specter Knight's gameplay is fast and melee oriented, using his Scythe's Slashes as his primary way of attack. He can also perform an attack called Dash Slash against enemies and certain objects while airborne; a gash will appear on the target, and if the attack he attacks in that moment, Specter Knight will fly through the target with a scythe attack. He can Dash Slash downward/upwards if he is above/below his target, respectively; it is also possible to perform Chain Dash Slashes by hitting opponents/objects multiple times.
Much like Plague Knight, Specter Knight has a very short jumping height. This is balanced by his ability to use Chain Dashes, and he can also climb walls and perform wall-jumps, granting him high mobility. He also has the ability to break dirt blocks by simply jumping off of them, but he completely falls though sand blocks due to this ability.
Specter Knight has access to Relics of his own, called Curios, which require Darkness (the equivalent of Magic) to be used. Darkness, unlike Plague Knight's Power, does not refills over time, but can be replenished collecting Darkness Jars, which drop from opponents and some breakable objects. Unlike both Shovel Knight and Plague Knight, Curios can be upgraded for 4000 gold apiece by visiting Legion in the Tower of Fate.
In addition, in order to unlock Curios, Specter Knight must collect Red Skulls, which are scattered on each stage, in a similar way to Cipher Coins in Plague of Shadows. These Red Skulls can be turned in to Red, who will lead Specter Knight to a small dungeon in the Tower of Fate, where the player must pass a small gauntlet using the Curio they bought before they can leave.
Stage Introduction SplashesEdit
- Press Onward!
- Into the Shadows
- Summon thy Scythe
- From the Shadows
- Blight the Earth
- Hone your Edge
- Reap your Rewards
- Into Oblivion
- Darkness Looms
- The Reaper Cometh
- Dash and Slash
- Escape! (Curio Stages)
- Specter Knight's appearance comes from various sources:
- In his knight attire, he is stereotyped as the Grim Reaper, wielding a scythe to reap the life of his foes.
- His original cloak as Donovan is similar to a serape, except not very colorful compared to real world serapes.
- His original weapons, a nimcha-like sword and caltrops, are both weapons that originated in Persia.
- Like the other "Dig the Vote" bosses who got their own campaign, he has his own Steam emoticon.
- Specter Knight's original details as a playable character were as follow:
|“||As an undead creature, Specter Knight is a serious and complex character. His macabre story will explain more about his tragic fall from grace.||”|
- Original Play Style Ideas
- Rapid scythe attacks which all move Specter Knight forward
- Scythe Toss and Teleport – Throw scythe for a damaging multi hit attack and then wait for *its return or immediately teleport to its position.
- Hover and Air Dash.
- Fast – Can run through levels quickly.
- Glass Cannon – Has lower health than other characters.
- Desperation Attacks – Special attacks drain health if available. Can otherwise use *special attacks infinitely if at low health.
- Original Play Style Ideas
- His boss portrait was changed for release of Specter of Torment across all campaigns.
- If there are Brittle Boneclangs present when Specter Knight is defeated, they will run away.
- Specter Knight's real name before they came up with Donovan was "Johnny Specter". This is why the cheat code to always look like Donovan is "SP&JOHNY".
- Unlike the other playable characters, he does produce air bubbles while underwater in stages such as the Iron Whale.
- Back in March 16, 2019, Yacht Club Games developer Morgan Guyer released a quick sketch of a Body Swap Donovan, naming her Donnavan.
- Specter Knight's dialogue before his first boss fight int the original demo of King of Cards was as follow:
- "King Knight: Your taste in attire leaves much to be desired. You shall have no place within my kingdom. Begone cloth man!"
- "Specter Knight: My servitude lies with the Enchantress... Join us as a knight, and see what a real kingdom looks like!"
- "King Knight: My destiny is greater than that of a mere knight and servant. I'm a king! Outta my way!"
|Plague of Shadows Characters|
|Main Characters:||Plague Knight • Mona • Percy • Black Knight • Shovel Knight • The Enchantress|
|The Order of No Quarter:||King Knight • Specter Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|The Wandering Travellers:||Reize • Baz • Mr. Hat • Phantom Striker|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Team Plague:||Magicist • Hedge Pupil • Mail Minion • Oolong • Plague Minions|
|Armor Outpost:||Chester • Troupple Acolyte • Airship Enthusiast|
|Hall of Champions:||Head Guard • Cultured Fellow • Patron|
|Troupple Pond:||Troupple King • Troupples|
|Mini-Bosses:||Teethalon • The Dinghy Dropper • The Alchemeister|
|Final Bosses:||Plague of Shadows • Corrupted Essence|
|Specter of Torment Characters|
|Main Characters:||Specter Knight • Shield Knight • Luan • Reize • Dark Reize • Black Knight (Terrorpin) • The Enchantress|
|Order Recruits:||King Knight • Phantom Striker • Plague Knight • Treasure Knight • Mole Knight • Tinker Knight • Polar Knight • Propeller Knight|
|Guest Characters:||Madame Meeber|
|Tower of Fate:||Red • Manny • Missy • Dark Acolyte • Creech • Legion • Scrying Glass • Memmec • Dragonarmor • Edge Farmer • Horace • Scarlet • Dancer • Gall • Baz • Wizzems • Boneclangs • Goldarmors • Liquid Samurais • Hover Meanie • Hoverhaft • Hoppicles • Birder • Super Skeleton • Ghost • Tundread • Rail Raiders • Plague Minions • Gulper Mage • Cogslotter|
|Mini-Bosses:||Teethalon • The Dinghy Dropper • The Alchemeister • Hurlsvelgr|
|Final Boss:||Nightmare Reize|