|“||I'm just not in a good mood... I wish someone could cheer me up...||”|
Toader is a bipedal frog with a dark green hue, wearing a dark grey vest and black trousers. While his counterpart is lighthearted and cheerful, Toader is grumpy and doesn't approve of puns.
Shovel of HopeEdit
Toader also appears in the Mysterious Area after the exclusive fight with the Battletoads. He frowns at Croaker's Battletoads puns. Occasionally, he ends up in the middle of the pose the Battletoads and Shovel Knight are striking. He leaves, annoyed, while Croaker poses too.
Plague of ShadowsEdit
Croaker reappears in the ending, watching the fall of the Tower of Fate and celebrating with the townsfolk at the Village.
King of CardsEdit
Toader, much like Croaker, can be found in the Houses of Joustus, specifically the Cavern of Joustus and the Crag of Joustus. Like Croaker, he gives King Knight puzzles to solve, but he insists he cannot solve them and tells King Knight that they're impossible. If the player beats his puzzles, they are rewarded with a merit medal.
Shovel of HopeEdit
When talked to at the outpost:
- "Toader: I'm so grumpy! I'm just not in a good mood... I wish someone could cheer me up..."
- "Shovel Knight: (Well, OK. I'll give it a shot.)"
Shovel Knight's bad puns:
- "Shovel Knight: Why would they just leave the catapult unattended? The operator is out to launch!"
- "Shovel Knight: Why don't the snow wolves make any sound? They don't know howl."
- "Shovel Knight: Why was Treasure Knight talking to a therapist? He had deep sea-ted anchor issues."
- "Shovel Knight: What do they serve for breakfast on the Flying Machine? Two eggs, hover-easy."
- "Shovel Knight: Why is Mona like a math book? Because they both have problems!"
- "Shovel Knight: Why didn't Specter Knight go to the dance? He didn't have any body to go with!"
- "Shovel Knight: Why did King Knight go to the dentist? Because he needed a new crown!"
- "Shovel Knight: Why don't the rats in the Clockwork Tower make good pets? They are full of ticks!"
- "Shovel Knight: Why is it called the Dark Ages? Because there's no shortage of knights!"
- "Shovel Knight: Have you heard the Gastronomer is starting to cook with bullion? I tried some, but my soup was gold!"
- "Shovel Knight: I applied for a job at the Juice Bar... I said "put me to good juice!""
- "Shovel Knight: How did Baz feel after being rejected by the Order of No Quarter? Wrestle-less!"
- "Shovel Knight: New disciples always ask about weapons besides the Shovel Blade... but we'll hear nothing of the sword!"
- "Shovel Knight: I tried to pick up some gauntlets the other day... ...but the blacksmith said "arm working on 'em, but armor not finished yet!""
- "Shovel Knight: Did you hear about the time Tinker Knight went on a date? It was heart-wrenching!"
- "Shovel Knight: Did you hear about my battle with Polar Knight? Snow problem!"
- "Shovel Knight: Did you see my painting of the Troupple King? I'm not one to brag, but it's the spitting image!"
- "Shovel Knight: Why does Mole Knight keep digging all the time? Just beclaws."
- "Shovel Knight: What did I say as a rat knocked me into the bottomless pit? Rats!"
At the Mysterious Area:
- "Toader: ..."
King of CardsEdit
Toader at the Cavern of Joustus:
- "Toader: Puzzles. Bah. They're just a waste of time! Apparently, you can win in one turn, but I can't solve it! Take a look if you like. It's not like I'm making any progress."
After beating the first puzzle at the Cavern of Joustus:
- "Toader: I tried for hours. Hours of my life. Wasted. I'm just not that smart. Well, thanks, I guess... I didn't mention this before, but there are actually three puzzles. Regrettably, the second one is even worse. There's... Certainly no solution. But you can try, if you want."
After beating the second puzzle at the Cavern of Joustus:
- "Toader: Here's the last puzzle. If you solve it, that's everything! Which leaves me.. With absolutely nothing. Great. This final one... It's impossible. You'll see. Want to try?"
After beating the third puzzle at the Cavern of Joustus:
- "Toader: Sigh..Well, that's all the puzzles solved. Take this card. I'm sure you'll use it more wisely than I."
When talked to after beating all of the puzzles at the Cavern of Joustus:
- "Toader: Sigh..So. That was all I really had to offer. And now you're bored with it. So..."
Croaker and Toader at the Crag of Joustus:
- "Croaker: Hop over to our pad and lend us an ear hole. Water we gonna dew about this puzzle?"
- "Toader: Sorry, I don't know. Ugh, maybe heshould just solve it."
After beating the first puzzle at the Crag of Joustus:
- "Croaker: You solved it! I'm green with envy. Your skills are so fly, you've got me tongue-tied! We overheard the champion down below. They had quite a husky voice! It's hard to conveyhowl ruff this puzzle is. Want to try wolfing it down?"
After beating the second puzzle at the Crag of Joustus:
- "Croaker: We'd treasure your help on this last one. It's gild our enthusiasm. Truly, we're gemboozled!"
- "Toader: Cascade arrows make my cards and my head spin... But you can try it.."
After beating the third puzzle at the Crag of Joustus:
- "Croaker: Wow!Truth be toad, we knew you'd swim through this webbing of puzzles! Take this, chum."
When talked to after beating all of the puzzles at the Crag of Joustus:
- "Toader: I don't know what's worse.. The puzzles, or the jokes. I can't believe you endured it all."