Wizzems are minor enemies in Shovel Knight appearing through various stages as one variant or another. They resemble typical wizards with pointy hats and cast elemental magic. In Specter of Torment, some of them appear wandering the Tower of Fate hub.
All variants but Dark and Dark Lantern Wizzems have three hitpoints, and all deal one full damage point. Wizzems slowly charge up a magic attack before firing it. They are always stationary although they will sometimes turn around to face their foe. They all drop two yellow gems both worth 20 gold when defeated.
Frost Wizzems are exclusive to the Stranded Ship.
Their attack is identical to the Flare Wizzems except that the orb drops snowflakes periodically as it travels, damaging anyone standing below. The falling snowflakes are reminiscent of Plague Knight's Frost Burst. The orb can deal more damage than common attacks. The orb and the snowflakes can be destroyed but not deflected.
Their attack is notably different to that of any other Wizzems; rather than a small orb that travels forward, they create a gear. The gear will always fall downward if it can and moves forward until it collides with something which will cause it to turn around. Dig Slashes will not reflect these gears but rather cause them to get tossed over Shovel Knight.
Lightning Wizzems are exclusive to the Flying Machine.
Their attack can be quite tricky to dodge. They fire an orb similar to the flare orb but with a twist. When it travels above or below their target, it splits into two projectiles. One projectile moves up and one moves down quite swiftly, making them quite difficult to dodge. If the projectile is hit before it reaches its target, it will instead split immediately. With a timed attack, the split projectiles can hit the caster and defeat it in one hit with the accumulated damages.
Dark Wizzems are exclusive to Specter of Torment and replace Flare Wizzems in Pridemoor Keep while also appearing in Tower of Fate: Entrance.
They shoot a dark wisp-like homing projectile that can be dash-cut by Specter Knight to reach higher places. Unlike other varieties, they have only 2 hit points.
Although not fought, Gold Wizzems appear in the the ending scenes of Specter of Torment. They are gilding Pridemoor Keep for the glamorous reign of King Knight.
Dark Lantern WizzemsEdit
Dark Lantern Wizzems are exclusive to King of Cards. They appear in Pridemoor Keep.
Like Dark Wizzems, they cast a wisp-like homing projectile. However, the projectile is encased in a lantern which King Knight can Shoulder Bash and bounce off when in a spin. They also only have two hit points.
Wizzem Card Edit
Flare Wizzem after completing Plains:
- "Wizzem: The knights with higher bounties on the Magic Mirror are probably more difficult to defeat!"
Frost Wizzem after completing Plains:
- "Wizzem: The Enchantress is so mysterious. Where did she come from? Who is she?"
Dark Wizzem after completing the Iron Whale:
- "Wizzem: Our army is INVINCIBLE! Even the most legendary or stalwart knights could never stand a chance!"
Gear Wizzem after completing the Clockwork Tower:
- "Wizzem: We've gotta get in gear around the Clockwork Tower! The worst, though, is when our tools break. BECAUSE IT TAKES TOOLS TO FIX TOOLS."
Lightning Wizzem after completing the Flying Machine:
- "Wizzem: Our valorous captain, Propeller Knight, expresses his esteem!"
- The model for Wizzems is called "Wizard Joe" in the game's files.
- According to the developers, Wizzems were designed among the most common foe in Shovel Knight.
- The Japanese localization uses a different color palette for Frost, Gear and Lightning Wizzems.
- There are several unused color palettes for Wizzems in the game's files: a default (Flare) palette for Japan localization, a "Dirt" palette and a "Rat" palette.
- The Rat Wizzem was to be casting rats, but was eventually removed in favor of the Gear Wizzems.
- The Joustus card portrait for Wizzems is present in the game's files since the release of Specter of Torment.