|“|| Our army is |
invincible!Even the most legendary or stalwart knights could never stand a chance!
All variants (except Dark and Dark Lantern Wizzems) have three hitpoints, and all deal one full damage point. Wizzems slowly charge up a magic attack before firing it. They are always stationary although they will sometimes turn around to face their foe. They all drop two yellow gems both worth 20 gold when defeated.
Frost Wizzems are exclusive to the Stranded Ship.
Their attack is identical to the Flare Wizzems except that the orb drops snowflakes periodically as it travels, damaging anyone standing below. The falling snowflakes are reminiscent of Plague Knight's Frost Burst. The orb can deal more damage than common attacks. The orb and the snowflakes can be destroyed but not deflected.
Their attack is notably different from that of any other Wizzems; rather than a small orb that travels forward, they create a gear. The gear will always fall downward if it can and moves forward until it collides with something which will cause it to turn around. Dig Slashes will not reflect these gears but rather cause them to get tossed over Shovel Knight.
Lightning WizzemEditFlying Machine.
Their attack can be quite tricky to dodge. They fire an electric orb that immediately splits into two smaller projectiles once it's directly above or below the player. When the orb splits, one projectile goes up while the other goes down, and they both move very quickly which makes them difficult to dodge. If the projectile is hit before it reaches its target, it will instead split immediately. With a well-timed attack, the split projectiles can hit the caster and defeat it in one hit with the accumulated damages.
Ironically, they don’t appear in Specter of Torment as enemies, but they can still be found in the Tower of Fate hub as NPCs once Specter Knight beats the Flying Machine.
They shoot a dark wisp-like homing projectile that can be dash-cut by Specter Knight to reach higher places. Unlike other varieties, they have only 2 hit points.
Gold WizzemEditKing Knight.
Dark Lantern WizzemEditKing of Cards. They appear in Pridemoor Keep.
Like Dark Wizzems, they cast a wisp-like homing projectile. However, the projectile they cast is encased in a lantern which King Knight can Shoulder Bash or bounce on while spinning. Dark Lantern Wizzems also only have two hit points.
One of the Joustus cards in King of Cards is a Wizzem card which can push other cards up, down, and to the left.
Specter of TormentEdit
Flare Wizzem after completing Plains:
- "Wizzem: The knights with higher bounties on the Magic Mirror are probably more difficult to defeat!"
Frost Wizzem after completing Plains:
- "Wizzem: The Enchantress is so mysterious. Where did she come from? Who is she?"
Dark Wizzem after completing the Iron Whale:
- "Wizzem: Our army is invincible!Even the most legendary or stalwart knights could never stand a chance!"
Gear Wizzem after completing the Clockwork Tower:
- "Wizzem: We've gotta get in gear around the Clockwork Tower! The worst, though, is when our tools break. Because it takes tools to fix tools."
Lightning Wizzem after completing the Flying Machine:
- "Wizzem: Our valorous captain, Propeller Knight, expresses his esteem!"
King of CardsEdit
Gear Wizzem at the Crag of Joustus:
- "Wizzem: The banner above us is chewed to shreds. How could the champion of this House of Joustus allow that?"
Flare Wizzem standing at the Tower of Joustus:
- "Wizzem: As I informed Specter Knight, the card printing is going at full speed. We simply cannot keep up with demand!"
Dark Wizzem at the Tower of Fate:
- "Wizzem: Countdown Arrows are strong, but they disappear after a few turns. Like, I dunno, magic. Y'know?"
- The model for Wizzems is called "Wizard Joe" in the game's files, possibly being a reference to the Sniper Joe from the Mega Man franchise.
- According to the developers, Wizzems were designed among the most common foe in Shovel Knight.
- The Japanese localization uses a different color palette for Frost, Gear, and Lightning Wizzems.
- There are several unused color palettes for Wizzems in the game's files: a default (Flare) palette for Japan localization, a "Dirt" palette, and a "Rat" palette.
- The dialogue portrait for Wizzems has been present in the game's files since the release of Specter of Torment.